The aviation sector in the UAE have time and again proven its leadership on the skies and excellence on the ground. The sector is expected to contribute nearly Dh200bn to the economy by 2020, which is more than 27 percent of Dubai's GDP. It is one of the key sectors of the nation's ambition to become a truly diversified economy. This growth has not been possible without the contribution of major airlines operating in the UAE. Here is the list of all the major airlines of the UAE, which have an Air Operator Certificate issued by General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA).
The list is dived in 4 parts:
- Commercial Airlines
- Cargo Airlines
- Government Airlines
- Charter Airlines
1. Commercial Airlines: These airlines transport passengers and freight from one destination to other.
- Emirates: Emirates is the largest and the oldest airline of the UAE. It has the honour of being the flag carrier of Dubai. It commenced its operation in 1983. It operates over 3,600 flights per week from its hub at Dubai International Airport.
- Air Arabia: This is the largest low-cost airlines operating in the Middle East. It commenced its operation in February 2003. The airline operates scheduled services to 151 destinations around the world.
- Etihad Airways: The airline is the second largest airline in the UAE. Etihad Airways is the flag carrier of Abu Dhabi and also the national carrier of UAE. It commenced its operation in 2003.
- FlyDubai: This airline is the youngest one in the group. It started its operations in 2008. It is a government-owned low-cost airline. It flies to 95 destinations.
2.Cargo Airlines: Cargo airlines or Airfreight carriers are airlines mainly used for the transport of cargo by air.
- Emirates SkyCargo: It is the second largest cargo airline worldwide in terms of the total freight tonne-kilometers flown and the largest in terms of international freight tonne-kilometers flown. It started its operation in 1985. It has dedicated cargo flights to 50 destinations.
- Etihad Cargo: Formerly known as Etihad Crystal Cargo started its operation in 2003.
- Maximus Air Cargo: It is an Abu Dhabi based aviation group which was established in 2005. It is a regional air cargo carrier and cargo aircraft wet lease operator.
- Unique Air: It operates out Sharjah International airport and was founded in 2014.
- Sky Bizz: It offers Aircraft leasing and freight forwarding.
3. Government Airlines:
- Abu Dhabi Amiri Flight: It is the government airlines of Abu Dhabi, UAE. It has a fleet of 7 Aircraft.
- Dubai Royal Air Wing: It is the paramilitary airline of the government of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It is used by Emir of Dubai and the government officials. It has a total of 12 aircraft in its fleet.
- Sharjah Ruler's Flight: It operates for the royal family of Sharjah. It has 2 aircraft.
4. Charter Airlines: A charter flight is an unscheduled flight. A charter flight gives you the luxury to rent the entire aircraft and you can determine departure/arrival locations and times.
UAE has many operators in this field.
- Abu Dhabi Aviation
- Aerogulf Services Company
- Al Jaber Aviation
- Dana Executive Jets
- Empire Aviation Group
- Falcon Aviation Services
- Gama Aviation
- GI Aviation
- Gulf Wings
- Heli Dubai
- Rotana Jet
- Royal Jet
- Rotana Jet
- Royal Jet